August 21st, 2018
It’s Never too Late to Achieve the Confident, Brilliant Smile You've Always Wanted
Orthodontic treatment can be successful at any age. It is a common misconception that adults cannot receive orthodontic treatment like children and teens. Adult orthodontics is becoming more popular today and now there are more cosmetic choices available. Brilliant smiles Orthodontics offers adults multiple state-of-the-art treatment options to suit your needs.
So what kind of treatments are available to adults?
The first orthodontic treatment that may come to mind is the traditional metal braces. Today, this style of braces is also available in a clear “tooth colored” material. Lingual braces is another great option. They are also metal braces, however they are more discreet as they are behind your teeth instead of the front. Invisalign® is often the adult favorite because it can go virtually unnoticeable. They are clear trays made from the molds of your teeth. This treatment consists of multiple trays, with each one slightly moving your teeth.
Are there any benefits to adult orthodontic treatment?
Yes, many! Here are some to name a few:
- Confident smile: There is nothing like wanting to show off your smile. Misaligned teeth cause many adults to feel self-conscious about their smile
- Healthier gums: Food is more likely to get trapped and cause plaque buildup, which is harder to brush and appropriately floss, increasing the chances of gum disease (periodontal disease). Crowded teeth can cause redness and swelling of the gums.
- Stronger teeth: Teeth are constantly put under pressure. Crooked teeth can receive more wear and tear and a misaligned bite can mean uneven force on your jaw. Trapped food in misaligned teeth can cause the tooth decay.
- Overall Improvement of health: A misaligned bite, worn or missing teeth can make it more difficult to fully chew food, causing gastrointestinal problems. Inflammation of the gums has been linked to heart disease and diabetes.
Your time is valuable and we understand that as adult you many have a lot going on. You may think you don’t have the time for orthodontic treatment, but together we can work out a treatment that fits your lifestyle. Call us for a consultation at 321-779-0000. We look forward to hearing from you! Brilliant Smiles serves Melbourne, Merritt Island, Palm Bay, Satellite, Titusville, Viera and surrounding areas in Florida.
July 2nd, 2018
Join us on July 7th from 10 am to 3pm at the Melbourne Auditorium for a fun-filled day of learning, playing, and shopping. Your one-stop shop to the best products, services, and resources for expecting parents and families with young children in the Space Coast area. We can't wait to see you there!
The event is FREE but please RSVP at EventBrite Here.
May 3rd, 2018
There isn’t a specific age at which children should start undergoing orthodontic treatment. However at around seven years old, your child will have grown out enough permanent teeth and the jaw is developed enough to tell if there are any current issues...or any on the horizon.
There are many benefits to getting orthodontic treatment as a child, including shorter treatment time, fewer impacted permanent teeth and reduced chance of needing to remove teeth because we:
- Correct and guide the growth of your child's jaw to help the permanent teeth come in straight
- Regulate the width of the upper and lower arches
- Create more space for crowded teeth
- Avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions later in life
- Correct thumb sucking and help improve minor speech problems
Are there any signs I should look for?
Yes, definitely! Here are some of the signs to keep in mind:
- Early or late loss of baby teeth
- Difficulty chewing or biting into food
- Grinding and/or clenching of teeth
- Mouth breathing
- Speech difficulties
- Thumb or other finger sucking habit
- Crowding, misplacement, or blocking of teeth
- Jaw shifts or jaw noises like popping
- Protruding of teeth
- Biting the inside of his or her cheek
- Teeth meet abnormally or do not meet at all
- Jaw and teeth do not appear to be proportionate to the face
Keep in mind that these signs do not guarantee that your child needs treatment, but they may indicate that an orthodontic evaluation may be a good idea.
Do some of these signs look familiar to you?
Have no fear, your child will be in good hands! Dr. Romia Goff is a native from Jacksonville with a child of his own. With memberships to the American Association of Orthodontists, Florida Association of Orthodontists, Southern Association of Orthodontists, and American Dental Association, you can be sure he is up to date with the newest trends in orthodontics.
Think your child may need an orthodontic evaluation?
Give us a call and make an appointment for a consultation. We can be reached at (321) 241-0749. At Brilliant Smiles Orthodontics, early treatment can help give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for more self esteem as they go through their teenage years and through adulthood.