For Young Kids Orthodontics Isn’t Just About A Confident Smile
Every parent wants their child to be able to smile with confidence but for many that's not the only reason to investigate orthodontics at an early age. While the average age for orthodontic treatment is around 12 years old, at Brilliant Smiles Orthodontics we have a mission to focus on children 7 and up to follow up with the American Association of Orthodontics guidelines. Why, you ask?
An orthodontic consult at an early age can catch future issues and adjust for them before they become problems. Some of these issues include:
- Airway Obstruction: well developed airways allow normal breathing through the nose when the mouth is closed. While this may sound trivial, nasal breathing is important because it’s now known to be vital to good health. Airway obstruction has been linked to developmental delays, sleep disorders, behavioral disturbances, and later can lead to hypertension, stroke, heart disease and even premature death. These sound scary but the treatment is easy if we are able to catch it early on! We all can relate to our little ones that struggle with allergies!
- Crossbites: by age 7 most children’s permanent molars and incisors have come in. A trained eye can see early on if crowding or crossbites will be an issue as the rest of your child’s permanent teeth come in. The earlier treatment begins, the easier it will be because your child’s jaw is less developed at this early age and can be guided along the right path rather than working to reverse issues at a later age.
- Overcrowding: Traditionally, orthodontists would say wait until age 11 or 12 to treat a crowding problem, but the problem isn’t going to get any better by waiting. Early treatment has been proven to correct narrow arch and create space for the teeth as well as for the tongue so it may function correctly when swallowing. Plus, early treatment can avoid the need for future tooth extraction or jaw surgery.
The benefits to Early Orthodontic treatment are clear:
- Early treatment can regulate the width of the upper and lower dental arches, gain space for permanent teeth, avoid the need for permanent tooth extractions, reduce likelihood of impacted permanent teeth, correct any habits that can cause bad bite later on, and eliminate abnormal swallowing or speech problems. In other words, early treatment can simplify later treatment. Speaking of…
- Two Phase Treatment. Phase 1 works with your young child to make space for their permanent teeth. Phase 2 begins once they’ve arrived. Often children who undergo Phase 1 treatment have a much shorter Phase 2. This makes life easier for both them and you as their schedules get busier and busier.
Not every 7 year old will need early treatment, but if they need early treatment and if it is caught early on by a trained orthodontist, it could make a big difference in the outcomes of treatment later on by taking advantage of growth and also possibly by avoiding extractions. Knowing the importance of early orthodontics is only part of the battle. Then the question is who do you talk to? At Brilliant Smiles Orthodontics we focus on your child’s individual needs and focus on early Orthodontic treatment to avoid extractions and also to take advantage of growth!
Contact us today for a free consultation!
Think your child may need an orthodontic evaluation?
Give us a call and make an appointment for a free consultation. We can be reached at (321)779-0000. At Brilliant Smiles Orthodontics, early treatment can help give your child a healthy, beautiful smile for more self esteem as they go through their teenage years and through adulthood.